Re: NMU: kernel

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:16:11AM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 09:40:16AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> >
> > Especially for the slower architectures having done a compile with a
> > crosscompiler before the source package is handed to the buildd is very
> > important to avoid FTBFSs.
>
> Good idea, I've been trying that recently. Unfortunately gcc-3.3 on m68k
> still has some bugs, so that we build 2.4 kernels with gcc-2.95, 2.2 kernels
> with gcc272. Anybody got a crosscompiler for those? I haven't been able to
> build those yet.

crosstool supported gcc 2.95.x last time I checked, 2.7.2.x is probably
helpless for automated crosscompilers, but we could ask the mac68k folks
at sf.net what they use.

gcc 3.4 is supposed to be much better for m68k, and should be included
in crosstool soon.  Note that the compilers don't have to match the
ones on the buildds exactly - although there's some reasons one compiler
is fine and others are, but for 90% of the problems the exact compiler
shouldn't matter - after all it's not the images that should go into
the archive.