Re: Debian non-x86 kernel arches

William Lee Irwin III wrote:
[snip]
> On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 01:22:16PM -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> > I'd like to propose we attempt to build x86, amd64, ppc, and ia64
> > kernels from the same source tree. Arches like mips and m68k will
> > probably still need extra patches. But we should really be working to
> > mainline those patches.
> > Note I did not include PPC64 in this list yet... I think we are gated on
> > that until we have something equivalent to what amd64 has on alioth.
>
> For 2.6 I would like to see a consolidation effort, but there are other
> issues to tackle first. I don't want to go about planning this until
> everything's in place and the port maintainers are fully involved.

The real problem isn't the unified source tree, but how to create
kernels from it. A single debian source package for all architectures
means there is no way to keep an older version for one of them. So we
lose the flexibility to skip known bad versions for one architecture.
We also lose the flexibility to make an arch-specific update without
forcing everyone to upgrade their kernels for nothing.

Thiemo