Re: NMU: kernel

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 02:19:19PM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> [snip]
> > No need for excuses. In my eyes, all architectures are on equal footing.
> > I would like to inspire a unified effort, regardless of the fact that it
> > may involve no specific change in direction, to elevate all architectures
> > to equal status and to make mainline work everywhere for 2.6.
>
> Does this mean to put all of 2.6 support in a single package? I don't
> think such an approach works well for architectures maintained outside
> the mainline (linus/morton) tree.

Such architectures are really on the wrong track imo. They are also a pain
for any kernel maintainer, including the arch maintainers themselves. Afaics
all major architectures are uptodate in 2.6, and given how fast architecture
updates get merged I see no real valid excuse for an architecture to be
maintained externally. Maybe I'm missing something, and if so, please
enlighten me.