Re: Plasmashell crash: debugging symbols

On 23/10/2023 20:15, Andrey Rakhmatullin wrote:
On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 08:08:56PM +0100, piorunz wrote:
In general, assuming you use KDE packages from official Debian archives,
you can use either debuginfod, or plain old debug packages. Have a look
at the Wiki: HowToGetABacktrace[1]. It includes some hints on how to
obtain the needed debug package names. Let us know if you'll have
further issues or if there's something to improve in that Wiki text.

   [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace

Hi Grzegorz,

I already have debuginfod configured,
It doesn't look like it worked then.

It's working because when I first installed it in /etc/profile, it has
downloaded some symbols for various crashing packages I stumbled upon in
the last several months. I also manually launch gdb via:

export DEBUGINFOD_URLS="https://debuginfod.debian.net"; && sudo
coredumpctl debug

But it doesn't solve everything, it seems.

"or plain old debug packages"

Where I can find those?
The wiki page linked covers that too, in the "Installing the debugging symbols" section.

Thanks, indeed it does. Repo added! This, plus debuginfod, should
improve my ability to debug crashing packages.

This KDE guideline should definitely be improved:
https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Debugging/How_to_create_useful_crash_reports#Debian

It doesn't say anything about additional debugging repository available
in Debian! I relied on this source when I first configured debuginfod,
installed gdb, and decided to have a go at it. I was not aware of any
additional repository.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀