Re: Kind request to package kpart-webkit for modern Debian versions

[adding pkg-kde-talk@alioth-lists to the thread, where we discuss packaging topics]

Le 9 mai 2022 20:10:19 GMT+02:00, ValdikSS <iam@valdikss.org.ru> a écrit :
>Hello, mailing list.

Hi ValdikSS,

>Is there any chance to get kpart-webkit package into newer Debian versions? https://packages.debian.org/stretch/kpart-webkit
>
>This package allows to use Webkit renderer in Konqueror browser. This renderer is outdated and not compatible with all the websites, however it is much faster and lower on RAM consumption than modern WebEngine used by default. This would allow to browse the web using very low-end machines by current standards, such as 32-bit PCs with 512 MB RAM.
>
>Debian is basically the only major Linux distribution which still supports i386, and there's Webkit packaged for Surf and Qutebrowser packages, and it's even present as a module for KDE Frameworks (libkf5webkit5), but it can't be used in Konqueror due to missing kpart.
>
>Kindly asking to bring old kpart-webkit package from Stretch to newer Bullseye, to extent the lifespan of older hardware. Surf and QuteBrowser still could be used, but that browsers are aimed at keyboard controls, not a regular interface such as Konqueror.

The package was removed from Debian for a specific reason : it's dependency on Qt4 :
https://tracker.debian.org/news/902784/removed-134-2-from-unstable/

Since it seems to have been ported to Qt5 / KF5 in the meantime I see no technical reason why it shouldn't be reintegrated into Debian.

However this is still a relatively niche use case and the Qt/KDE Team in Debian is generally more interested in on-boarding more contributors than more packages. 😉

So if you want to see it back I'd advise you fork the repo and start getting the package up to date with upstream and Debian standards, so we can review and upload your work to the archive. Feel free to join #debian-qt-kde on IRC and ask for help/review.

>P.S. libkf5webkit5 package description says it provides kpart component, which is does not. Could it be the whole reason of missing webkit in Konqueror?

The description is purely … hem … descriptive. I'll have a look at what's in the package and fix the description accordingly.

Happy hacking !
--
Aurélien