Re: kwin wayland turn off screen (xset dpms force off)

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 10:10:03 PM CEST Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2021, inkbottle wrote:
> > So, with it running in a terminal, you can do: Ctrl-Alt-L, and ta-da, the
> > screen turns of a few seconds later.
> > And when you unlock, the default behavior is restored.
>
> I submitted a patch to the kernel that fixes this on the kernel side ;-)
> No extra scripts needed.
> It is not perfect and seems to not work in all circumstances, but this
> is what I am running (but I run self-compiled kernels).
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/662#note_909333

Yes indeed.

But I understand my scripting is addressing a different purpose in the "turn off
screen" arena. It is not addressing a hardware related issue preventing
altogether things from working. It is more like, assuming lower level things
are well behaved, "can we shorten the dpms OffTime timer when the screen is
locked?" And in that "user experience" concern, actually, and contrary to my
first feeling about it, it is doing pretty well, or so it seems, after several
days of using it. It even seems reliable.

For the present, with my "systemsettings", my hardware, wayland, "unstable",
Plasma 5.21.5, framework 5.82, the script found in the previous post, and
verifying that nothing is obviously interfering with `dbus-monitor --session
"type='signal',interface='org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit'"`, things
have been fool proof for days.

So far, very satisfactory.

Thanks,
Chris