Re: KDE Apps 20.04 (and Plasma) for Debian

Hey,

> If i were one of the guys who deal with kde in debian i would be very
> offended by the situation that has arisen: some debian users who use
> Preining's repositories seem to want to suggest that after all it
> doesn't take much effort to package all kde for Debian since
> Preining did it in a few days...

well updating all packages by a script - i can do that too in a day, too and
it is actually the starting point when I update Frameworks and kdepim. But
this you don't call a clean package there are dozens of warnings, errors,
infos from debian tools, that you should improve your package and cleanup
things. So in the end I spent the last two weeks cleaning up the frameworks
packages. Also pino made additional cleanups after I uploaded them to
experimental. So you see there is still room to cleanup. Sure I don't need to
cleanup the package, because they built, that is often the approach KDE Neon
is taken (And I use their repositories from time to time, so see how they had
solved and issue I'm facing). - but we will have more work later and Kubuntu
and Neon use our cleanups also in their packages, so it helps everyone. And
properly the next uploads will be a lot faster, because now they are clean, so
dust needs a while to settle again ;) But on the team page their is also
upload a new security fix to stable dealing with other changes in sid - there
is not only kde, so we need to create and take part in transitions eg.
currently upcoming: gcc 9 -> gcc 10, that needs also updates on our side.

Maybe you get a better impression about the work that was done, if you look at
one changelog for 5.69:
https://salsa.debian.org/qt-kde-team/kde/kio/-/blob/experimental/debian/
changelog

And maxy stepped back from care about Frameworks so others had to take over
his work. It took also quite some time to actually realizing it, that maxy
can't do the work anymore and other need to stand up. And we all have enough
work already in the team. So it took a way longer till others could start
updating the packages again.

Every merge request is welcomed and also if people want to join the team.
Please don't forget, that we have a life outside computers and are not 20/7
available.

hefee