Re: Upgrade partially some packages (Plasma 5.19. 5 - 3) on testing broke plasma.

Gary Dale - 19.11.20, 12:39:52 CET:
> > What I did was switch to Windows for the 3 day interval so I could
> > work whilst Debian sorted itself out. That worked for me. Other
> > things worked for other people. I'm cool with that.
>
> That's a terrible solution. While I don't particularly care for Gnome,
> it's far better than Windows. I could continue to work while looking
> for a solution. Far better than giving up all that Linux offers that
> Windows can't touch.
>
> Moreover, the workarounds only stopped me from using Plasma for a
> short period - not 3 days. It was an annoyance, not a tragedy.

I still remember a hefty Qt transition from a longer time ago.

As far as I remember I used MATE temporarily.

As long as Qt is operational one could also use LxQt. Since it is pretty
small and in part uses the same libraries from KDE Frameworks I have
installed it in addition to Plasma.

The most important thing is: Sid is still unstable, testing is still
testing. As much as I bet many users would like to: Both are not the
same as rolling distributions for regular end users. They may be similar
and it is a good idea to do what is reasonably possible to ensure smooth
transitions, but they are still not the same as rolling distributions
which are intended for regular end users. Users of Debian Testing and
Unstable are still beta testers. Also in such a case where I do not
announce when a huger update comes to Sid on this mailing list.

Users who are not comfortable with finding workarounds like installing a
different desktop environment IMHO should use Debian stable or one of the
Debian derivatives that aim for a rolling release model for end users.
That written, I only had to install a different DE in very rare cases.

Users who expect Debian Sid or Debian Testing to be stable at all times
are very likely to be disappointed at some time.

That are at least my thoughts on this.

I use Debian Sid on my production machine since ages. But I usually know
how to fix things up when they break or when to defer an update.

Ciao,
--
Martin