Re: KDE Stops opening new programs

Luca wrote:

maybe this way you can find the culprit:

$ lsof -U +c 15 | cut -f1 -d' ' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head -3

And the winner is: thumbnail.so

I found the way to reproduce the problem.

In Dolphin, select a file. Right click and select delete. Press Ok in confirmation dialog.

When pressing Ok a new "thumbnail.so [kdeinit5] thumbnail" process appears in state S (interruptible sleep (waiting for an event to complete) according to ps) and a new "Qt Selection Owner for thumbnail.so" entry in xrestop. When entries reach 256, X stops to open new windows.

Fortunately a simple killall -9 thumbnail.so solves the problem.

Looking in debian packages there are two packages with a thumbnail.so file in it: Imagemagick and kio-extras. I suspect the one bugging me is kio-extras. Is it time to file a new bug against kio-extras?