Re: KDEPIM 18.08.3 for Buster

Hello Sandro.

Sandro Knauß - 07.02.19, 00:33:
> as Debian is already in freeze, the version of KDEPIM that will
> shipped with the next stable is 18.08.3. That was uploaded same days
> ago. There is no time to package 18.12.X sorry for that.
> So please test this version in more depth and report issues. If you
> also manage to point to existing bugfixes like done in #921535 it is
> very likely we can ship a that bugfix also for Buster.

While I had hoped for KDEPIM 18.12, I certainly accept and understand
your decision.

I probably will test whether I can get Akonadi EWS with Office 365 – not
my choice, mind you – to work for me with that version. So far I was not
able to, but by triaging upstream reports I did not yet find one that
applies to my situation. So maybe it is still a configuration issue on my
side. Evolution with EWS just works fine, including calendar.

Aside from that since KDEPIM/Akonadi 18.08 I see stalls when downloading
POP3 messages from my private Dovecot server. Often Akonadi/KMail just
sits there, according to atop apparently doing nothing, for up to a
minute, before continuing as if nothing has happened. That behavior has
been so erratic, that I did not yet invest more time to actually find out
what is going on here. Sometimes it works normally and sometimes I see
those stalls. I was disappointed cause I expected the work of Daniel¹ to
improve performance of KDEPIM/Akonadi quite a bit and did not have those
delays with earlier KDEPIM/Akonadi. According to akonadictl fsck there
are quite some issues with my setup… and I wonder whether to recreate it
once again as akonadictl fsck does not seem to fix any of those. However…
that would be something for upstream mailing list kdepim-users (where I
raised this issue quite some time ago).

I know both upstream development and packaging it can use more hands. So
I mean no offense to anybody with that.

[1] https://www.dvratil.cz/2018/04/my-kde-pim-update/

Thanks,
--