Why won't KDE start with overcommit disabled?

I have a problem with web browsers going rogue and locking up my
computer such that I have to hard restart. I want to set
vm.overcommit_memory=2 to try to invoke the OOM killer before a
browser locks up my computer. When I do, though, SDDM will start
normally, I'll log in but it'll freeze up whilst plasmashell is
vm.overcommit _memory on a KDE system?