Re: Plasma 5: no more KDEHOME?

On Jessie, a "export" in a script within /usr/env would take care of the issue. What about stretch?
Would a script called /usr/env/kdedirs.sh, containing:

export   XDG_DATA_HOME=~/.local.stretch/share
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=~/.config.stretch
export  XDG_CACHE_HOME=~/.cache.stretch

...would fit the bill? Would that be the proper way to go with stretch?

João

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 6:23 AM, Christian Hilberg <hilberg@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
Am Montag, 26. Februar 2018, 14:35:05 CET schrieb Joao Roscoe:
> Nice, good to know.
>
> Now, I suppose that in a few years, We'll be moving forward to a newer
> version of our distro of choice. Then we'll (again) face a transitory
> situation in which users will be able to login to different systems with
> different versions of KDE installed, what could result in some trouble, due
> to different versions of the desktop environment and applications messing
> around with configuration files. In the past, we dealt with this by
> tweaking kde so that it would use "~/.kde.<distro_version> to store kde
> related data, instead of plainly "~/.kde". So, looking at
> https://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html,
> from now on, I guess I could have the same result by tweaking the systems
> to replace "~/.config" wit "~/.config.<distro_version>".

Don't forget about (at least, maybe there's more) ~/.cache/ and ~/.local/

> Is that right?
>
> Best regards,
> Joao
>
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:
> > On 2018-02-22, Joao Roscoe <joao.roscoe@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How could I avoid conflicts between different versions of kde from now
> >
> > on?
> >
> > all kde and qt applications follows the XDG spec for this, and the
> > related set of environment variables.
> >
> > /Sune

Best,

        Christian