Re: jessie upgrade deemed very difficult + there is no simple way not to install konqueror

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 1:26:25 PM CEST Shawn Sörbom wrote:
> On Monday, June 19, 2017 11:24:59 PM PDT inkbottle wrote:
> > task-kde-desktop depends on kde-standard
> > which depends on plasma-desktop
> > which depends on kde-baseapps
> > which depends on konqueror
> > which depends on tons of difficult to understand seemingly outdated
> > dependencies.
> >
> > The upgrade is very difficult
> >
> > In fact I give up the upgrade altogether.
> > I'll have to come to it through another angle:
> > There are tons of packages which I deem old and unnecessary, and I find no
> > simple way not to install them.
> >
> > And there is no simple way not to install konqueror.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > PS: Also aptitude put all automatically installed packages to satisfy
> > dependencies in manually installed: hundreds of them.
> >
> > It is a very difficult upgrade.
>
> If you download the meta-package source for kde-baseapps, you could remove
> the konqueror dependency from the control file, bump the version number,
> and repack it. I know this isn't ideal, but if you are willing to invest
> time in the task, it is doable.

That looks like fun: I did thought of something like that myself.
Plus, it would be a good exercise in packaging 101.
So far I unfortunately failed doing anything good in the debian packaging
department. There should be more tutorials about the bases of packaging, or I
just haven't found them.

For the concern of the aforementioned upgrade, the person for whom I did it
seems to find it simply beautiful (and "blue", don't ask...); and everything
is working seamlessly.

As for myself, I really should learn packaging.