Re: improving the UX with the default KDE installation

On 22/04/17 13:31:51 CEST, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > - plasma-discover is too bugged to be used as a replacement
>
> Do you have a specific set of bugs? Think also in the long term, this is
> going to happen for Buster, and Discover is definitely developed.

This [1] as a starting point, and this snippet from the discussion I think is
import:

> [...] all of the issues outlined in this bug report are minor annoyances
> which do not at all justify the severity of "grave" for this bug report.
> [...] it (Discover) is not a package manager. If you want a package
> manager, use Apper or Muon

In brief, plasma-discover has some glitches and it seems to be good for
managing system updates, however it is suggested to use another software for
package management (read the bug report for details).

Personally I don't like this situation and I would like to use just a single
application to manage updates and packages. And despite what I quoted above,
plasma-discover can be used to install and remove software but it has less
features (and more bugs?) than other package managers, at least the version
provided in Stretch.

I think that right now an average user could be confused. Which application
should be used, Apper, Discover or Muon?

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=858729