Re: I have a problem with KDE dependencies in Debian Testing

Hello.

ปฐมพงศ์ กวางทอง - 11.10.17, 17:00:
> Hello, I have a problem. My friend and I are the newbie in
>       Debian. And my friend wish to use newer package in Debian
>       repository. So he use testing branch and use KDE as regular desktop
>       environment. But there are dependencies problems in KDE testing and
>       the one he and I cannot resolve is in this link:
>       paste.debian.net/990157
> He had try to run sudo apt --fix-broken install but it doesn't work.
>
> I haven't subscribe this mailing-list, please reply direct to me.
>
> Thank you so much for your help.

You didn´t provide much context, for example which newer package he wants to
install. Aka the whole apt command line + output and not just a part of it.

It appears that the package he wants to use from testing, depends on newer
plasma-desktop package in testing. Which depends on plasma-desktop-data.

There is not really a nice way around it.

If you both are newbies I recommend to you:

Use pure stable. Don´t mix versions.

You could consider requesting a backport of the wanted package, but depending
on its dependencies that might be difficult to provide:

https://backports.debian.org/

Or upgrade the whole system to testing, but I recommend you learn a bit more
about Debian and especially its package management before doing so.

Of course you could also just upgrade only as much as needed, but it appears
it would be (almost) the complete plasma desktop… and you get a mix of
versions that

1. is unsupported

2. might not work at all

3. may show subtile bugs not present in either pure stable or testing

So on purpose I don´t give any instructions for that.

Thanks,
--
Martin