Re: improving the UX with the default KDE installation

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 11:56:43 PM CEST fradev wrote:
> On 05/04/17 11:43:55 CEST, Shawn Sörbom wrote:
> > > Sorry, there is a typo. The output that I posted was generated by
> > > "$ sudo apt remove kmail", not "autoremove".
> >
> > I agree, but the original topic was about which packages shouldn't be
> > included by default. Couldn't this be solved by changing it to
> > "recommends"
> > instead?
>
> Indeed that's the point! However, to avoid the issue that I shown in the

I totally agree that the right choice between depend, recommend and suggest is
the central point.

Here, for Kmail, I say recommend.

I do all my install/package management, with
aptitude --without-recommends

But I understand that here, suggest can be a good option too.

I think "depend" is when the package is necessary, otherwise, things wont
work, will be broken.

Or because it's in the title.

So, when we say, "KDE" or "plasma", do we mean "Kmail", because obviously,
semantically included.

Well, a DE without a mail client is a poor DE, but IMO, is still a DE.

So I say "recommend", or "suggest"; but not "depend".

Chris