Re: Double rebooting required after upgrades for months

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 5:01:43 PM CET M G Berberich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 08. Februar schrieb inkbottle:
> > For weeks or months I have a weird, though not serious, issue:
> > After an upgrade, if I launch "mpv" (fork of mplayer), it breaks my
> > system:
> > it stops displaying windows decorations, I cannot switch between windows
> > anymore...
> > However I still have access to the panel, I still can logout or reboot.
>
> I know the problem. Are you using KDE?
> You can (re)start kwin from krunner or panel

OK, thanks.
(http://askubuntu.com/questions/663701/how-to-restart-kde-5-interface;
kquitapp5 plasmashell
and then
plasmashell)

1) Do you mean rebooting is unnecessary to solve that problem?

2) Do we have any idea of what is going wrong in that situation?

Even though it can be purely coincidental, I really think the use of "mpv" and the
fact that it is just after an upgrade followed by a reboot, is participating in the glitch.
Once there have been "dual reboot", or, I haven't tried yet, plasmashell restart, I
think the problem doesn't come back until the next upgrade plus reboot.
(Again it might sure be pure misinterpretation of mere coincidental events.)

The use of mpv block the visual animation consisting of showing all opened
windows simultaneously when moving the mouse to the upper left corner
of the screen, that intentionally or not, I can't say.