Re: Compositing Problem

On 01/07/2017 11:12 AM, David Baron wrote:
On יום שבת, 7 בינואר 2017 4:36:59 IST Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 10/19/2016 11:33 PM, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 10/12/2016 12:10 PM, David Baron wrote:
Running must recent kwin, etc., with Sid nvidia-legacy-304xx driver.

Window decorations slow or do not show on non-KDE windows. If they do not
show, one can pretend they are there and do everything.

Effects all compositing options.

Where to file bug?
Quick fix?

Quick fix, force install all your 'nvidia' and 'glx' installed packages
back to 'Jessie-backports' and then 'lock-them' works, maybe 20-24
packages that you will be locking, varies a little with my installs,
some I had not upgraded and I only had to lock the packages.  I used
synaptic while in xfce4 and all your kde apps work from xfce4 too as a
side note.  Note no problem with upgrades and those files being locked,
at this time anyways. hehe

There's a lot noise out there about fix's, I found nothing works for me.

 I came up with this fix and it works.  While gtk works with the

upgrade, plasma don't, it's a problem with plasma, you can't blame
nvidia and say they are not doing their part, this is a problem debian
plasma, I'm sure they are working on it. Seems to affect only
'legacy-304' and could be a simple code error.

With the Debian-nvidia driver: Plasma is unable to start as it could not
correctly use OpenGL2.  Note dialog is working, sound is working, no
plasma.

With the Debian-free driver, computer freeze with colorful squiggly
lines and I have to push the power button and repair the file system.

David, do you have a better fix than down-grading the packages?  And I
may not need to down grade as many packages as I do, but it works.

I updated Sid/testing a couple days ago and retested current drivers,
"nouveau" is working with sddm okay but froze with plasma(colorful
lighting bolts).  Current nvidia-legacy-304xx is working with XRender
and compositing enabled and I'm good with that, tested on Stretch too,
now I can do clean upgrades and I'm happy. Thank you Debian!

Mine does NOT work with xrender

I'm sorry to hear that, I have XRender with compositing enabled on four Stretch systems and four Sid/testing systems using current nvidia-legacy-304xx. What are you doing as a work-around?
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Stretch - Plasma 5.8.2 at sda13
Registered Linux User #380263