Re: KdePIM results testing migration from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5

Hey,

> Thats a tough one. Why?
>
> - I think upstream as in bugs.kde.org would be the right recipient.
>
> - But I think upstream neither has the interest nor the manpower to handle
> issues related to migrate from KDEPIM 4 to 5 anymore – unless it a fix for a
> bug reproducable within KDEPIM + Akonadi 5. Stable Debian users are among
> the latest users to migrate.

The thing with migration issues, is that a user want to migrate once and than
never again. So it is quite hard to reproduce issues, I had often discussions,
and than suddenly the users said - oh now the old data is gone, so nothing to
reproduce. If you have some that can be reproduced for the developers, they
can help. And before make sure, that the the issue is maybe already known in
bugs.kde.org. But keep in mind kdepim is not a big team, so they may also
answer, that they want to focus to something else.

> - Report in Debian then? I think Debian Qt/KDE maintainers do not have the
> resources to do much more than to refer to upstream. I am happy they are
> able to provide packages, although for KDEPIM it would be good to have
> 16.08 instead of 16.04, but this AFAIK is still blocked by packaging Qt
> WebEngine, which basically is a port of Chromium´s Blink webengine.

If there are concrete patches, I'm happy to backport them! 16.08 won't help in
the migration problem, because as you said already, Debian is one of the last
that are doing the migration.

> Otherwise I suggest to struggle your way through. Review resources in this
> list and in upstream kdepim-users list. Especially in kdepim-users mailing
> list, but I think also here I covered migration issues more than once. And
> so did others. Most if not all questions have been answered already and I
> don´t even completely recall it all. I migrated more than a year ago and
> forgot most of the process. If you need help, ask. At least you do the
> migration only once.
>
> I especially would ask in kdepim-users for any open migration issues. There
> are a lot of users who did the migration and there are upstream developers,
> too.
>
> Am I happy with that? Not really. But thats how I see the situation.
> Migrating from KDEPIM 4 to 5 has been rough for many users.

For other Debian user it would help to document a little bit solutions for
issues while migration under wiki.debian.org, so others do not need to search
though the mailing list archives.

Best Regards,

sandro