Re: KdePIM results testing migration from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 23:05:17 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2016, 13:31:12 CET schrieb Shawn Sörbom:
> > 2. My messages imported alright...but they were imported as a separate
> > directory structure. Long story short, I now have two "inboxes"-one of
> > which  is empty.
>
> I didn´t use any KDEPIM Settings Importer or other import functionality in
> KMail. I just moved the maildir directories over to the new location in
> ~/.local/share/local-mails and pointed the maildir resource there, then gave
> it some time to synchronise. Also I let it pick up the old kmailrc.
>
> Okay, there is one additional step: Before that with KDEPIM 4 I moved all
> mbox archival folders I had in the mixed maildir resource to an extra
> resource and switched the main maildir resource from mixed maildir to plain
> maildir. I still didn´t point a mixed maildir resource to the old archived
> mails in KDEPIM 5 as last times I tried to do it ate all memory.
>
> Maybe you have two mail related resources now. If so you can remove one with
> Akonadiconsole for example. But make sure to pick the right one :). But
> even if you pick to wrong one, you can recreate a maildir resource and
> point it to the maildir location again, as deleting the resource does not
> delete the data it handles.
>
> Read:
>
> Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?
> Submitted by amantia
> https://blogs.kde.org/2011/11/13/akonadi-misconception-1-where-my-data
>
> And this one:
>
> akonadi/KDE PIM backup/restore
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2016-October/000351.html
>
> > How do I go about providing bug reports from here?
>
> Thats a tough one. Why?
>
> - I think upstream as in bugs.kde.org would be the right recipient.
>
> - But I think upstream neither has the interest nor the manpower to handle
> issues related to migrate from KDEPIM 4 to 5 anymore – unless it a fix for a
> bug reproducable within KDEPIM + Akonadi 5. Stable Debian users are among
> the latest users to migrate.
>
> - Quite some of the issue like loosing filters may already be reported and
> lingering in upstream bugzilla.
>
> - Report in Debian then? I think Debian Qt/KDE maintainers do not have the
> resources to do much more than to refer to upstream. I am happy they are
> able to provide packages, although for KDEPIM it would be good to have
> 16.08 instead of 16.04, but this AFAIK is still blocked by packaging Qt
> WebEngine, which basically is a port of Chromium´s Blink webengine.
>
> Still if you want to report anything: Good luck!
>
> Otherwise I suggest to struggle your way through. Review resources in this
> list and in upstream kdepim-users list. Especially in kdepim-users mailing
> list, but I think also here I covered migration issues more than once. And
> so did others. Most if not all questions have been answered already and I
> don´t even completely recall it all. I migrated more than a year ago and
> [...]

Moving to .local/share/local-mails did the trick. Thank you.
Still no filters after I copied over the directories, but I should be able to
fix that by importing them separately when I upgrade for real. I'm sure glad
I'm discovering this now as opposed to later!
Thank you so much!

Its a shame this doesn't get fixed, I suspect it would be simple to detect a
plasma 4 backup and handle accordingly. I might just report it...