Subject: [Kde-pim] QT 5.6.0
Date: Freitag, 15. April 2016, 01:48:58 CEST
From: Sandro Knauß <sknauss@kde.org>
To: kde-pim@kde.org

Hey,

I see that the first bumps to Qt 5.6 are made in messagelib etc. These make
the
CI unhappy because there is no Qt 5.6 available. Why we need Qt 5.6? If
everyone inside KDE is happy with Qt 5.5? It would be nice if we can talk
about those bumps before they happen. Because building new Qt is not a easy
task. And I would like to get away from buming to new versions directy if they
get released. If there is no need to bump, than leave the needed version
untouched.
It is really making the time for distribution hard to ship new versions, if
the version dependencies are unnessary high.
Also keep in mind all newcommers need to build everything that we depend on,
if the versions are not available on their system...

One example with Qt 5.6 - this can't lend inside debian because plasma crashes
with it hard - a fix is on its way or got released with 5.6.1. This is one
example, why distributions can't ship the newest what soever dependency - and
if we need that for kdepim that means we make it harder for distributions to
ship it.

Regards,

sandro