Re: Sqlite akonadi transaction mode fix

On Thursday 22 January 2015 10:50:53 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2015, 09:49:18 schrieb David Goodenough:
> > I use KdePIM and thus akonadi with SqLite.  I am running unstable and am
> > up to date with fixes.
>
> No. Its no default. Default is Akonadi with MySQL. If you use SQLite, AFAIK
> you chose that yourself explicetely. So its no "thus" here, cause you have a
> choice which backend to use.
My bad, there was a missing comma.  It should have read "I use KdePIM and
thus akonadi, with Sqlite".  And yes, I chose Sqlite and wish to use it.

> > Looking in the KDE bug database I found:-
> >
> > http://osdir.com/ml/kde-commits/2014-07/msg02228.html
> >
> > which seems to address the repeated dialog boxes I get while filters run
> > on
> > my mailboxes, and the log messages of which:-
> >
> > DATABASE ERROR:
> >   Error code: 6
> >   DB error:  "database is deadlocked"
> >   Error text: "database is deadlocked Unable to fetch row"
> >   Query: "UPDATE PimItemTable SET atime = ? WHERE ( ( PimItemTable.id = ?
> >   )
> >
> > )"
> >
> > is an example.  All the errors I get currently are deadlock errors.
> >
> > I don't think this fix is in the current build, and I realise that Debian
> > is getting ready for a new release and thus it is unlikely that this fix
> > will be able to be slotted in any time soon.  Can I simply get the
> > source, add this one patch and rebuild, or is it more complicated.  Also
> > which package(s) would I have to rebuild?  Is it just
> > akonadi-backend-sqlite?
> I read again and again, that KDEPIM developers themselves recommend not to
> use SQLite backend. I used PostgreSQL backend for some time, but now use
> MySQL backend as I believe it is most widely tested. But AFAIK as least one
> KDEPIM developers uses the PostgreSQL backend. It has the disadvantage
> tough that on major PostgreSQL updates you have to dump and restore the
> database to upgrade its structures.
>
> I compiled akonadi and kdepim myself quite some time, but not from package,
> but installed it to /usr/local and initialized it with some environment
> variable settings. Its all described on kde wiki sites.
>
> As to using Debian packages: Well basically its grab the source, change,
> rebuild. You would need quite some build dependencies satisfied, but you
> need that either way. The turn around time would be higher than just
> compiling and installing with make install I think, but I bet you wouldn´t
> need to do this often.
>
> That said, I didn´t rebuild KDEPIM related packages yet, but I did this with
> Digikam and it worked quite nice.
>
> As for updates to Debian packages, I´d like to see current akonadi 1.13
> branch packages, cause it contains quite some noticeable performance
> updates regarding database access that made MySQL disappear from cpu usage
> top for most of the time. Its really a huge difference.
>
> I use c733429f4fa9696fb027ddc946e54f6bbb68deaf of Akonadi git repo on two of
> my systems for at least a month and it works nice.
>
> And well if what you point to is really a fix, I bet it may be cherry-picked
> for the package. But if you can verify first, that the fix works, I think
> chances are higher to convince a Debian Qt/KDE team member to merge the
> change. So your idea of testing it locally by compiling yourself makes
> sense to me.
I am happy to do this, what I was trying to find out was exactly which packages
I would need to rebuild - does akonadi-backend-sqlite seem right? or am I
going to have to rebuild the whole of kdepim?

David