Re: frameworkintegration depends on qtbase-abi-5-4-2 which doesn't exist?

On Thursday 22 October 2015 15:07:00 Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
[snip]
> > Guess I'll just have to wait it out. I hope the actual user experience is
> > better once it's installed.
>
> Actually, I am a bit surprised that things are crashing because of a simple
> update. If the abi changed, so would the so-version and the filename. If the
> abi didn't change, it also shouldn't crash things.

Qt is api and abi stable for *public* stuff. Ideally we should not package Qt
private headers, but as we build it by using submodules instead of one single
big-and-ugly [disc] tarball we need to export some of the private headers to
packages in order to build the stack.

Now the problem comes when apps that are not part of the Qt stack use it's
private headers, like kwin, frameworkintegration, calibre, libqtxdg, etc.

We provide no warranty that private headers are API/ABI stable, so we need to
rebuild them for every minor release. Yes, it's a PITA and the main reason we
don't push minor-even versions to unstable (like 5.5.0, 5.5.2, etc).

Hope that clarifies it. And if you are an upstream, pretty much please do not
use private headers.

[disc] "big and ugly" because a simple typo would mean almost a day of
building Qt in a normal desktop PC. Handling it by pieces is much much easier.

--
"No es el crecimiento de la tecnología lo que excluye, sino la
protección sistemática de los derechos de uso de la misma,

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/