stretch SDDM shutdown/restart issue

Hi all,

I'm running stretch, updated from jessie, with sysvinit,
and just the unavoidable systemd bits. System has been
updated today. It runs inside a VirtualBox 5.0.2 on a
jessie host, just in case that should make a difference.

SDDM shows restart/shutdown buttons, but when clicked,
just the timer animation starts (and eventually counts
to negative numbers), without shutdown or restart being
carried out. This has been the case ever since I initially
dist-upgraded from jessie to stretch.

When logging in into KDE Plasma 5, both shutdown and restart
do work.

Also, if using LightDM with the KDE greeter, shutdown and
restart do work.

I've searched for existing bug reports but did not find
a good match. The report in [0] is somewhat close,
but refers to the respective buttons in KickOff, which
actually work for me (suspend not yet checked).

Maybe I am missing something here. How would I best
proceed to iron out the cause of the issue? Has anyone
else experienced this?

Hints and pointers appreciated.

Kind regards,

	Christian