Re: What is the baloo file indexer doing?

Am Freitag, 19. Dezember 2014, 19:33:35 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> Hi!

Hi Volker,

> Is there a way to tell, what the baloo file indexer is doing in the
> background? It runs and runs, and I'm wondering, how much longer the
> indexing will take.

Several ways:

1) Stop the baloo_file process and start it on a konsole tab, you see its
activity there then. A balooctl restart on a Konsole may do the trick as well.

2) Run kdebugdialog and activate debug for baloo_file, then run tail -f
~/.xsession errors – This works as well, it may need a restart of Ballo file
indexer tough.

3) With an running baloo_file process on the fly:

strace -e stat -p $(pgrep baloo_file) 2>&1 | grep -v "share/baloo"

if you want to see a bit more than use -e open

So check whether a file is index you can try balooshow command:

martin@merkaba:~> echo "Bla" > hallo
martin@merkaba:~> balooshow hallo
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QString)
Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QString)
426864 /home/martin/hallo
martin@merkaba:~> rm hallo

You can always create a file like this to test whether any of the three ways to
above to watch baloo works for you.

Ciao,