KMail: Push-IMAP?

Most of my email I receive on two IMAP accounts, personal and mailing
lists, who between them have about 50 folders. Filtering into folders is
done server-side. New messages are retrieved in 7 and 11 minute
intervals respectively, in order to receive messages in a timely
fashion.

As it happens, on my otherwise idle notebook, the retrieval causes just
enough load to make the fans spin. If possible, I'd like to avoid that.

Folders holding high-volume mailing lists are likely to acquire a few
new messages on each check. For most other folders the likelihood is
rather low, but if there are messages, I'd rather get them quickly, at
least for my personal account.

>From earlier messages on kdepim, my understanding is that KMail (or
rather Akonadi) supports a limited form of push-email through IMAP IDLE.
However, apparently this is (or was) only available for a single inbox
per account and at any rate not scalable to the number of folders I
have. From the KMail settings I can see that my IMAP server does support
IDLE, but I can't see whether KMail makes any use of it.

Any suggestions on how to deal with a case like this?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de