Re: debian kde will not install deb from dolphin by default

Em 05-04-2014 11:54, Erwan David escreveu:
Le 05/04/2014 16:47, Fabio Rafael da Rosa a écrit :
Em 05-04-2014 11:18, Diederik de Haas escreveu:
On Saturday 05 April 2014 11:06:11 Fabio Rafael da Rosa wrote:
After the first boot, I did download google-chrome from the website,
and
tried to install it, without success.
I did check that, for being able to install something from the UI, with
a double click, I must install gdebi-kde.
Why is that not installed by default ?
Because that's not the way most people install programs on their Debian
system. In general, you should NOT install packages by downloading an
installer from some website on the internet.
Thats how people that comes from other linux distro use it, as most of
use that are on linux for some time, are used to install things from a
repository, or download the source and compile it ourself if we need a
new version. But, that's not how the average user expects the system
to work. I do understand that there are risks on installing a package
from unknown source, but, disabling that will _not_ prevent people
from doing it. It's worse, as people will try to find instructions
that will ask him to open the command line, copy/paste something from
a unknown website, and will not even know what he is doing.
Debian has a very big library (repository) for installing packages,
which are
packed by Debian Developers/Maintainers. This makes sure the packages
are well
integrated into your system and don't install a malicous program with a
virus/trojan/etc in it. The system that makes it all work is called APT.
Yes, but, debian can't package 'everything' from the web. The user
can't install chrome, dropbox or spotify with apt-get.  And, the
average user _will_ try to install it, because they are used to those
programs. XP is done. Several people don't wanna buy a new computer
just because the OS expired. Some of them will keep using and outdated
os. Some of them will try to find an alternative. Mint and Ubuntu are
the most adverstised ones, but, there are people that are asking about
debian, because steamos gave new visibility to debian. At least,
that's what I can see from people that come to me asking about linux.
As for a GUI program to use APT to install various programs, you
probably want
to try out synaptic.
The package manager program is not the main problem here.
HTH,
    Diederik

To install .deb  with a kde gui, you have to install gdebi-kde
It does exactly what you are looking for.
:). After some tries, I did find this package. What I'm questioning here is the 'default' behavior, and the lack of documentation at the wiki about how to enable it.

--
Fabio Rafael da Rosa
fdr@fdrout.net