Re: slow system if trayicon is animated

On Monday 19 November 2012 15:56:55 Lars Schimmer wrote:
> xserver-xorg  1:7.5+8+squeeze1
> NVidia  nvidia-kernel-dkms 304.48-1

You're mixing stable with other repositories, why?
In my opinion, you should run either stable (with optionally backports) or a
testing/sid/etc mixed system, but not a combination of both.
For more info see also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612

Since going back to stable probably isn't an option anymore, I'd suggest you'd
go for wheezy (testing, for now, 'soon' the next stable).
So as a first step upgrade xorg to testing and see if the problem is still there.
If it is, you can file a bug against the nvidia-kernel-dkms (or nvidia-glx)
package.

Since I don't have an ATI card and/or experience with it's drivers, I can't
comment on that.

HTH,
  Diederik