Re: plasma desktop hangs

On 01/07/2012 at 16:48, chymian <chymian@gmx.net> wrote:

> BUT: the point here:
> >> plasma should definitly NOT freeze on a lost network connection.
>
> or even, if a plasmoid can't update it's content!

This is probably caused by plasma design - i.e. all plasmoids run under single
process. So, if one plasmoid tries to connect, it virtually hangs whole
desktop for that time.

This issue was discussed some time ago on planet KDE, but I can't find that
post right now.

I have found that brainstorm discussion from few years back:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=45255
It seems that rationale was: plasmoid crash causes whole desktop to crash, so
we should run them in separate processes. But plasmoids don't crash that often
now, so we do not have to run them in separate processes.

Your case shows that there is still pretty strong reason to run plasmoids in
separate processes (if only my suppositions are right). You should definitely
post your findings in KDE forums - either in linked thread, or in new thread
(which may get more attention).

But you should not post a bug report to Debian's BTS - there is really not
much that Debian's KDE packaging team can do about it.

As for corrupted configplasma-desktop-appletsrc file - it would be nice if you
could provide step-by-step instructions how to reproduce that. I will check on
Arch Linux with KDE to ensure that this is Debian issue. As KDE packaging team
recently said on that mailing list, they prefer that KDE bugs goes directly to
KDE, not Debian BTS. Debian BTS is appropriate for packaging issues and things
that do not happen outside Debian.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski