Re: Installing KDE 4.6 Backport On Squeeze

On 15/03/2012 10:36, Martin Alfke wrote:

> On 15.03.2012, at 03:42, Nick Boyce wrote:
[...]
>> I have just installed a fresh and bare-bones (no desktop) 'squeeze'
>> system on an AMD64 box, using the netinst 6.0.4 CD, and I'd now
>> like to install KDE 4.6.5 from http://www.debian-desktop.org/
[...]
>> I've tried all the obvious meta-packages, with these results :
>
> please install using
>
> apt-get -t debian-desktop kde-full

Ah .. ok, I just tried that in simulation mode, and it does indeed not
produce any warnings or errors at all.  Which is great ... and which
tells me that the apt-get/aptitude religious war has become a bit more
serious since last I understood.

It's OT for this list (and I don't want to ingite any flame fests here),
so can anyone point me at a discussion or explanation of the current
state of play with apt package managers ?

I thought the important difference was that aptitude keeps track of
automatically installed packages (while apt-get does not), so it can get
rid of them later when they're no longer needed.  It now looks like
aptitude resolves dependencies in a very different way from apt-get, and
I therefore need a better understanding of these tools.

> Please note that I lack time to correct an issue with USB automount
> (amd64 and i386) and security updates.
>
> If you prefer a stable solution you should stick to the official
> packages.

Thanks for the warning. While it might be possible to roll my own
security fixes in the longer term, I think the lack of USB automounting
would bug the hell out of me in the short term, so I'll stick to stable
4.4.3 on the primary system, and may have a look at the backport in a VM
later on.

Irrespective, thank you very much for all your hard work on the
backports repository.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
--
/* affect != effect */ void affect(int *thing,int effect) { *thing +=
effect; }