Re: Phonon and pulseaudio

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:26:25 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:03:38 +0100 Diederik de Haas wrote:
>
> Hello Diederik,
>
> > Since the upgrade of phonon, I'm getting error msg which I didn't have
> > before, like "The audio playback device HDA ATI SB (VT1818S Analog)
> > does not work. Falling back to Default."
>
> I get that too.  Except the report I get reads it's falling back to the
> device that's just failed.  Most strange.

This is most likely caused by your sound devices changing their alsa
card numbers, for example due to a kernel or alsa upgrade, or due to a
modified hardware configuration (including changes in the presence of
USB or bluetooth sound devices during boot). In other words, the bizarre
message "device X does not work, falling back to device X" translates to
"device X, which I used to know as alsa card 0, does not work anymore,
therefore I am falling back to device X, which is now card 1 (and I am
too stupid to recognize that the two are in fact the exact same thing)".

The quickest way to get rid of these messages is to reorder the
preference list of sound devices in "System Settings > Multimedia >
Phonon > Device Preference" such that a working instance of the device
is on top in "Audio Output" and all of its categories (Notifications,
Music, etc).

I only know one way to eliminate the annoying grayed-out ghosts of past
cards in the device preference list: Log out of KDE and remove
~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc, which will then be rebuilt properly
when phonon starts again. You may have to correct the preference order
of the devices again after that happens, though. You can also edit the
file with a text editor to make the necessary corrections if you prefer
a less invasive approach; the syntax of the entries is pretty
self-explanatory.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu