Re: compositing not working after upgrade

On 17 February 2011 22:09, Tim Folger <tf@timfolger.net> wrote:
> Now the middle-button emulation works again. But compositing still doesn't
> work. I had high hopes today after doing an upgrade, because I noticed that an
> update for xserver-xorg-video-radeon was available. But no luck after the
> upgrade--still no compositing. Same message from system settings: "Compositing
> has been suspended by another application."

Are you using direct rendering?

You can check in the Desktop Effects GUI, Advanced tab, Enable direct
rendering checkbox.

Also, it would be good to do a
$ glxinfo | grep direct
and check that you get "direct rendering: Yes".

If you get something like "direct rendering: No (LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT
set)", you have to check your environment variables for that one and
set it to 0 (or unset it), then try again.

You can also check you .kde/share/config/kwinrc for a property named
OpenGLIsUnsafe and set it to false if it is true.

My problems went away once I activated direct rendering. It's still
very much slower than my work laptop's crappy Intel card, but it
works.

Cheers,
- Cassiano