Re: How to rescue a screwed up install of KDE on wheezy

Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You only need one login manager - you currently have both the GNOME one,
>>> and the KDE one installed, and clearly, you a .xinitrc as well.
>>> Fluxbox can be started from kdm as well. So:-
>>> $ mv ~.xinrtc ~xinitrc.bak
>>> # dpkg-reconfigure kdm

So far having just 1 would not have been so smart.  Ditto for .xinitrc

dpkg-reconfigure kdm now done (on reboot I see no improvment)  I
logged in as different user so .xinitrc should not have been a factor.

It was a gnome gui login.  However gdm3 was taken out of service some
time back with rcconf

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  22 Sep 29 09:52 x-session-manager -> /usr/bin/gnome-session
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  38 Sep 29 09:52 x-session-manager.1.gz -> /usr/share/man/man1/gnome-session.1.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  17 Oct  2 18:29 x-window-manager -> /usr/bin/metacity
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  33 Oct  2 18:29 x-window-manager.1.gz -> /usr/share/man/man1/metacity.1.gz
#!/bin/sh

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
#
# global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
. /etc/X11/Xsession
#!/bin/sh

exec /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp "$@"