Re: How to rescue a screwed up install of KDE on wheezy

On 10/10/11 03:37, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'll try to summarize quickly:
>
> kde-full was installed on a newishly installed wheezy OS.
>
> When I rebooted I got a KDM login and was then dropped into an X
> session with only a terminal emulator and black backdrop.  No
> icons, panels or etc.  Further no menus produced by clicking any mouse
> buttons.

Relax - I don't believe you've screwed up - all the required packages
(and a whole lot more!) are installed - you (probably) just need to log
in to KDE.

>From the KDM login - before entering your password, select a session.
Down the bottom left of the KDM login screen (greeter) is "Session Type"
Available sessions, in this instance, should be:-;Default (previous);
KDM; GNOME; TWM; FVWM; Failsafe
Choose KDM, *then* enter your username and password and log in to the
desktop environment of your choice - or select "Menu" from beside
"Session Type" and choose "Console Login" if you don't want a GUI.

<snipped>
> At that point I uninstalled kde-full.  Rebooted into console and
> reinstalled kde-full

Which would have changed nothing.

At a minimum you would have just needed:-
kde-standard

No matter.

> That is where I am at now and once again a reboot ends in the same
> sorry mess as before, and described above.

No mess - you just weren't logged in to KDE.
KDE is a big environment - you've installed *every bell and whistle*.
Now you have many choices :-)

> I see many broken packages

Fixable.

Debian Testing (architecture unknown).

Change your /etc/apt/sources.list to match the following:-
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib

# uncomment the deb-src line if you need to source code
# unless you build from source, you don't
# deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

# uncomment the deb-src line if you need to source code
# unless you build from source, you don't
# deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

NOTES: I don't know your location, shouldn't matter much, but you're
using US mirrors for the sources.list. This can be modified, if, for
instance, you are in the UK.

Contrib is non-free packages used/suggested by Main.

That is a minimal sources.list. You can also add the "non-free"
repositories if you wish (not necessary). Doesn't mean you have to pay,
just means their are licensing restrictions on those packages. To add
non-free repositories just append "non-free" to *both* sources lines eg.:-
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

Additionally there are "proposed updates" eg.:-
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-proposed-updates main
contrib non-free

*Any changes to /etc/apt/sources.list should be followed by*:-
# apt-get update

Now get rid of kde-plasma-netbook, you won't want it on your desktop
machine:-
# apt-get remove kde-plasma-netbook

Check and see whether adding contrib (and non-free) means you are now
missing some "recommended" packages:-
# apt-get -sf install | more

If there is, and you want them, go ahead and install them:-
# apt-get -f install

Please reply to this post with your results, obviously, after <snipping>
out the redundant information. Be patient, avoid starting new posts (as
opposed to answering posts) without allowing a day or two for responses.

Cheers