Putting the brakes on the mouse

Recently I've been using a vintage Logitech optical mouse, but I have
been looking for another mouse for a long time. I had a SteelSeries
Kinzu, which was nice, but in less than a year its left button was
broken (first time for me in over 25+ years of using mice).

Today I got a Microsoft Arc Mouse, despite it being branded by the evil
empire. The first thing I noticed is that due to its high resolution it
is much too sensitive. System Settings > Mouse > Advanced has a setting
for the pointer acceleration, but even at 0.1, the lowest possible
setting, the mouse pointer is still too fast for me.

A bit of searching turned up the xinput utility and a way to slow the
eager rodent down.

$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer
⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® 2.4GHz Transceiver v5.0      id=18   [slave
pointer  (2)]

$ xinput set-prop "Microsoft Microsoft® 2.4GHz Transceiver v5.0" "Device
Accel Constant Deceleration" 5

I haven't yet decided where this last line ought to go to make it
permanent, and anyway, I think it is a kludgy solution. The KDE
configuration tools ought to be able to set up a modern, high-resolution
mouse. Are there non-KDE tools for this task?

I remember 15 years back on Mac System 7 it was possible to define
multiple thresholds and acceleration factors. Does X support this, too,
even if there may not be a configuration GUI?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de