Re: Kmix master volume with Pulse

Am Sunday 27 March 2011 schrieb Seb:
> Hi,
> Last month I ran into a couple of issues with sound on my AMD 64 Debian
> unstable system.  First, I noticed speech-dispatcher was blocking my
> sound card.  I solved this by setting:
> ,-----[ /etc/default/speech-dispatcher ]
> | # Defaults for the speech-dispatcher initscript, from
> | speech-dispatcher
> |
> | # Set to yes to start system wide Speech Dispatcher
> | RUN=no
> `-----
> and now I can see a single "PulseAudio Sound Server" listed under
> System Settings -> Multimedia (Device Preference tab), and got sounds
> again. Amarok wouldn't play anything with the default Gstreamer (from
> the multimedia.org repository; I remember some conflicts between these
> packages and stock Debian) backend, so I also had to select VLC as
> back end to make that work.

for more information regarding to KDE and Pulseaudio. Maybe KDE has
something on

as well.

This cleared some of my confusion for me. Instead of "Pulseaudio server"
you should get output names when everything is running correctly. See

> The other issue is that the master volume from Kmix doesn't adjust
> volume at all.  Using other options under "Select Master Channel" in
> Kmix doesn't make any difference.  However, using alsamixer, I noticed
> that volume can actually be controlled from the "Side 3" level.  This
> seems odd, since the Master channel in alsamixer's GUI is at max.

I didn't see that.

> I must admit I'm very confused about the roles of Pulse, Phonon, Alsa,
> and the different back ends for controlling sound in KDE, so navigating
> this is quite difficult.  Any help would be appreciated.

Count me in. That is a quite high software stack.

Xine / Gstreamer / VLC

just to play audio. ;)