Re: compositing not working after upgrade

On 15 February 2011 15:23, Tim Folger <tf@timfolger.net> wrote:

>> On Tuesday 15 February 2011 03:23:51 Tim Folger wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I just ran one of my weekly upgrades last night (I'm using sid with the
>> > 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem kernel). Now compositing no longer works with kde
>> > (4.4.5). When I click "resume compositing," I get a message saying
>> > "Compositing has been suspended by another application."  glxinfo | grep
>> > render says direct rendering is working. But when I run glxgears, I only
>> > get text output, without the animated gears.
>> >
>> > My middle mouse button also stopped working after the upgrade, i.e., I
>> > can't use it to copy and paste; can't open new tabs in any browser. (The
>> > mouse works perfectly in my other two computers, both of which still have
>> > kde 3.5.10 installed.) I'm using the radeon driver. None of these
>> > problems existed before last night's full-upgrade, so the upgrade
>> > definitely broke a few things, and I don't know how to fix them.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any suggestions...
>> >
>> > Tim
>>
>> Look at the output of 'glxinfo | grep -i opengl'. Does it say something
>> like "OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4"? libgl1-mesa-dri switched over
>> to Gallium drivers for many radeon Cards. Maybe that causes your problem
>> with compositing.
>
> You're right--it does say "Open renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880." is
> there anything I can do to get compositing working again? And would this also
> explain why the middle click on my mouse no longer works?

I'm seeing a similar problem here with a Radeon Mobility 4200. The
renderer string is the same as yours.

Desktop Effects "work", but a bit slow. If I run glxinfo with effects
on, X crashes and restarts. Same for pressing Ok in the Desktop
Effects KCM.

My middle-click works, though, so I'd say that it's probably not
related to OpenGL at all (and shouldn't, anyway).

So, does anyone in the list have any suggestion as to what can be done
to fix these issues?

Thanks!
Cassiano Leal