Re: kde pim + calendar + imapserver

On Monday, 2010-12-27, cobaco wrote:
> On 2010-12-24, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to configure an scenario with a imap server (dovecot) (or
> > whatever) and some clients using korganizer/outlook/lightning/sunbird
> > whatever.
> >
> > The idea is to have some server to provide calendar and addressbook to
> > some users.
>
> While a groupware server will include a mailserver, the reverse is not the
> case. Dovecot is a mailserver, not a groupware server, so if you want more
> then just mail you installed the wrong thing.

It might still work though. Kolab is using IMAP folders for addressbook and
calendar folders, basically storing the contact/calendar data as attachments
in mails.

I don't know the exact requirements though, I think the IMAP server needs to
support IMAP folder attributes so the folder can be marked as being a
container of "not actually email".

What you could try to do is to stop all KDEPIM apps and then run
"kolabwizard".
I think (haven't tried this myself) this will create addressbook/calendar
folders on the specified IMAP server and setup the config needed to access
inside Kontact.

People on KDE's kdepim-users mailinglist might have such setups and be able to
give you better hints than I am.

Cheers,
Kevin