Re: KDE SC 4.5.0

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 12 Rugpjūtis 2010 10:55:56 Johannes Fichtinger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 12. August 2010 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > An approach would be to put 4.5 packages into experimental and ask for
> > public testing here.
>
> Yes, I do hope this will happen. As an SID user, I am in fact unlike many
> others not happy about the freeze as this means for me, that I don’t
> recieve that regular feature updates anymore. Before, new KDE versions
> were generally quite quick in SID.

Nope.

> I wonder, how many others are out there using debian like me as an
> excellent rolling distribution and who do not care at all about releases?

Quite many. Approximately 40%-50% of debian desktop users use testing or
unstable. For example, compare popcon numbers of kdebase [1]. kdebase-bin is
available in all flavours (lenny, squeeze and sid) - 16124. libkonq5 is
available only in squeeze/sid and it is pretty essential - 6013. Quite similar
numbers in case of amarok [2]. amarok is available in all flavours (6669),
amarok-utils only in squeeze/sid - 3413 (though amarok-utils can be installed
independently of amarok so the number is a bit higher).

> BTW, why does a freeze imply that no new versions arrive in unstable?
> Wouldn‘t it be enough to stop the automatic migration from unstable to
> testing during freeze?

Unstable is a preferred way for packages to migrate to testing. Therefore,
unstable should stay "compatible" with testing during freeze.

[1] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=kdebase
[2] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=amarok

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>