Wifi GNOME network manager version into KUbuntu, Debian "pinning method, etc. ; jor debian-kde

KUbuntu 10.4,

=
Failing to get wifi to connect to access point.  It can see APs, but
fails to get dhcp via command mode, & fails connect with wicd.

=
It has been suggested (on KUbuntu list?) to remove the KU network
manager package, & that might get wicd & console command wifi working.

Previously, I was told that there is more networking success if one
installs Ubuntu (not KUbuntu) [to get the Ubuntu/Gnome network manager
sw], then install KDE on top of that.

=
For a system that was installed as KUbuntu:

Might it be possible to use something like Debian "pinning" to hold back
the KU network manager package, & then install the Ubuntu NetworkManager
package?  Guess I'd at least have to ad the Ubuntu repositories to
/etc/apt/sources.list.

There might also be another debian method to do this.

=
 Being as Ubuntu is Debian based, is there some way to make this work?

=
I ran Debian from about 2000-2005, so haven't done pinning for a long
time.

=
Thanks :)

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture