Re: broken kde notifications

On Monday 07 June 2010 00.29:34 Modestas Vainius wrote:

[GNOME and KDE fighting over notifications]

> There is nothing for us to fix. Maintainers are not responsible for the
> messed  up configuration of your system.

I think this is a bit a narrow minded view.  There may be nothing wrong at
the package dependencies level, but *if* it can (easily) be reproduced,
packagers and upstream alike should be involved.  Cross project coordination
(like, making GNOME and KDE play together nicely) is what Linnux
distributions are all about because the upstream developers often don't care
much about this.

Note that I don't see any cause for action on this specific issue beyond
perhaps try to help the OP debug where the problem comes from.  Ritesh: if
you log out, then remove .xsession errors (from remote or a text console
login or whatever), then log in: maybe you can see something suspicious
there.

Also: is there anything in any .xsessionrc or /etc/X11/Xsession.d file that
might start any gnome component?  Any leftover entries in .kde or
.local/.config (sorry, you'll have to hunt around.  I'm not familiar enough
with the desktop stuff to know where autostart stuff is hiding.)

cheers
-- vbi

(and if this sounds like a rant at the start, then because it should.  The
GNOME vs. KDE divide is hurting Linux on the Desktop a lot in my opinion.
Stuff like "I configured my [KDE] desktop to use a pale pink color, but
Gimp/oo.org/Firefox/... don't take this setting" (also: web proxy settings,
whatever) are easy to understand if one knows the technical background but
are a no-go area for beginners/non-techies who just want their computer to
work.  Projects like freedesktop.org have helped a lot, but there's still a
long way to go.)

--
By the most objective criteria, death is the greatest obstacle to marriage.
        -- Russel Coker