Re: broken kde notifications

Hello,

On sekmadienis 06 Birželis 2010 23:02:53 Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> On Monday 07 Jun 2010 01:21:49 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On sekmadienis 06 Birželis 2010 20:45:54 Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> > > Thanks. Purging notification-daemon solved the problem.
> > >
> > > Should the kde-full or kde-desktop metapackage have a conflicts on
> > > stuff like these ? An end user will not be aware how the notifications
> > > went broken.
> >
> > Now ask yourself if it really makes sense for KDE to conflict with GNOME
> > at packaging level. My reaction would be: huh, KDE and GNOME cannot be
> > installed on the system, wtf?
>
> Okay!! But please fix this. If I have a KDE DE and a bunch of gtk/gnome
> tools which pull in notification-daemon, KDE's notification gets hijacked.

There is nothing for us to fix. Maintainers are not responsible for the messed
up configuration of your system. In KDE 3 times, if you ran any GNOME app,
gnome-setttings-daemon would take over your desktop (wallpaper, shortcuts
etc.). So if this still happens to a lesser extent nowadays, that's a rough
life but it is not really a job of KDE to fight GNOME at all costs. It is the
job of GNOME to be friendly.

If you want to complain to somebody, complain to the maintainers of the
offensive application which triggered this for you (maybe some self-centric
gnome (or whatever?) configuration tool?). Finally, KDE should not go against
user wishes if (s)he wants to use notification-daemon for whatever reason.

As Kevin said, you should better find out how notification-daemon ended up
being started *before* plasma-desktop behind your back. That would be
interesting.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>