Re: KDE SC 4.4.2 available on qt-kde.debian.net

[Modestas wrote:]
>> "If you still wonder how packages were made available early, you
>> have a choice not to install them rather than ask."
>>
>> What I wonder is if you would have the b*lls to be so rude and bad mannered
>>  if you were physically face to face with users...
>
> I thought that was a little odd as well, but I didn't consider it to be rude
> or *badly* mannered.

I didn't think it was rude /or/ bad-mannered either.

I figured it was simply a commentary on how the author (Modestas) half
expected a deluge of knee-jerk queries from list-members asking how on
earth Debian packages can be available before the source has even been
released by kde.org .....

.... and I expect the answer to that is *either* that the Debian devs
work so closely with the KDE devs that they get privileged early access,
*or* that the Debian devs simply used their wit and cunning to deduce
when the source was effectively frozen and could therefore be read from
the repository without fear of missing something .... thus enabling
debian-kde@l.d.o members to get fast access to usable packages of new
software releases (a thing that Debian users are often noted for
complaining about not getting) ....

.... and I expect that the Debian KDE devs would really rather not have
to answer a million questions about this, cos they have better things to
do ... so Modestas simply pointed out that folks could always just not
install the packages if they're worried about the state of them.

Yes, he was a bit brief (succinct ?  enigmatic ?) about it.

Now I've spent the time spelling this out, so that Modestas doesn't have
to .... and if I'm totally wrong, he can tell me so, and I won't mind a
bit, whatever language structures he uses to do so ;)

That's multinational volunteer mailing lists for you.

Hey ho.

Nick Boyce
--
I think we've been in here too long.  I feel unusual.
I think we should go outside.