Re: Questions about building KDE from SVN

El Sábado, 20 de Marzo de 2010, Valerio Passini escribió:
> Is there any other cleaner and easy way to do it?

When I want to install KDE from the sources (either stable or unstable), I
compile everything to be installed in a directory different from /usr (where
KDE packages install to in Debian and others), preferably in $HOME. This way
you save conflicts between the two installations.

Is not hard to do at all, but you require a little bit of trial and error,
especially when you lack the packages of the required libraries.

My recipe is this. Copy the following in a terminal (or you could save it in a
file called "environment.sh", and then source it doing ". environment.sh",
that is, a dot, a space, and the name of the file):

export LANG=C
build=kdetrunk
# Qt
#export QTDIR=$HOME/kde/qt-copy
export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt4
#export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/local/$build/lib/kde4/plugins:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
#export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$QTDIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
# KDE
export KDEDIR=$HOME/local/$build
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR:$KDEDIRS
export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-$build
export KDEVARTMP=/var/tmp/kde-$build-$USER
mkdir -p $KDEVARTMP
# System
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
# DBus
export DBUSDIR=$KDEDIR
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$DBUSDIR/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

This list of variables could be improved slightly. I can only say that it
seems to work for me.

Now, assuming that you have downloaded the KDE modules (kdelibs, kdebase,
etc.) in ~/kde, create a build directory in ~/kde/build. Now do:

cd ~/kde/build
mkdir kdelibs
cd kdelibs
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR  ../../kdelibs
make install

If everything is in place, cmake will not complain at all, you will be able to
compile fine (assuming the build is not broken, which is pretty common in
trunk). Everything will be installed to ~/local/$build, so you can delete
this directory and you will be good. In that session you can start
applications. If you need the whole desktop, you should stop the running KDE,
and start a new one in the console. You will have to set the environment
again, of course.

> In the case I need to rebuild KDE completely, where I can find
> information about the dev packages I need to complete this task?

That's probably the hardest path. If you need to compile the whole KDE SC,
there are lots of dependencies. And the worst part is that probably, if you
want to build trunk, you sometimes require and unstable library that is not
released nor packaged, so you will have to build it yourself again doing the
same steps.

It helps looking at the packaged version of what you are building, and looking
at Build-Depends. Normally you will require the same, but with higher version
number.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2