Re: Phonon occasionally working

Hi!

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Would you recommend using pulseaudio?
>
> I still wonder whether I should try it.

I have switched to pulseaudio about 6 months ago and I do not regret
it. KDE integration is still not the best but it has nice features. If
you are willing to use the tools that come with it (pavucontrol etc.),
than you can do nice things with it.

My main reason for the switch was that I wanted to use bluetooth
headphones. You can accomplish this with ALSA, but you have to edit
system files, etc. With pulseaudio you just need to install the
appropriate plugin and pair the headset (eg. using bluedevil).

Kubuntu is also switching to pulseaudio from the soon to be released 10.10.

On Debian the experience might not be the best without some manual
setup. I had to install the libasound2-plugins for the pulseaudio
plugin. Then create an .asoundrc to change the default alsa device to
use this plugin. Without this all the non-pulseaudio capable programs
would try to acquire the alsa devices directly which did not work too
well with pulseaudio.

Regards,
Zsolt