Re: Another cannot login problem, fresh install

Alle giovedì 20 maggio 2010, Facundo Aguilera ha scritto:
> El Jueves 20 Mayo 2010 12:31:05, Daniel Sutil
> <daniel.sutil@gmail.com>
>
> escribió:
> > When I can't login with kdm I simply installed gdm and login in kde
> > without problem.
> >
> > Maybe this is a good workaround for you.
> >
> > Un saludo,
> >
> > Daniel Sutil
>
> I tried with gdm.
>
> Now, I did the next
> - fresh debian testing base netinstall
> - aptitude install kde-standard (only this command)
>
> and I have the same problem. Three weeks ago, I did the same steps
> with no problems, so I think it is a 4:4.4.3 packages problem.

My suggestion is that you should stop installing your OS over and over
again for first: it's just a waste of time. If you really want to solve
your problems, post some logs so we can help you. When you do a fresh
install, hundreds of packages are involved and it's quite difficult to
find the culprit. So what you are doing is almost useless.
Probably you will find more saviour advices than mine, but
check the permissions on the files of your /home/directory. If
everything is right, just as a starting point post:
/var/log/kdm.log
/var/log/kdm.log.1 (if kdm.log is empty)
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
We can see if there are any error.