Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Mike Bird:
> On Wed May 5 2010 15:53:05 Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> > How does having a kdepim that depends on mysql declare kde as
> > "broken"? Sure, many oppose to that dependency, but it works,
> > doesn't it?
>
> (1) It reportedly breaks home directories stored on NFS servers.
> (2) It's such a bad idea that KDE is rushing to remove it.
> (3) Does Debian really want to implement robust migration both
> to MySQL (for Squeeze) and then out of MySQL (for Squeeze+1)?

Whether Akonadi works or not appears to be a game of roulette to me.
Freshly since upgrading from KDE 4.4.3:

Bug 236535 -  sometimes can't open and log timezone and privilege tables
https://bugs.kde.org/236535

Bug 236538 -  often does not find resource agents on first start of Kontact
https://bugs.kde.org/236538

Bug 236539 -  dbus session bus not available on first start of Kontact -
race condition?
https://bugs.kde.org/236539

I already grepped in ~/.local/share/contacts for contact information as
Akonadi was not available and I didn't now it would be there when I start
kontact again.

My address book as to be accessible *all of the time* without bombarding
me with more and less cryptic error messages. There are about 15 self
tests that might fail. I think Akonadi from KDE 4.4 depends on too many
external factors that it just can't control fully.

But nonetheless: I think these issues should be fixed upstream. And I also
don't what else Debian developers could do then to use KDEPIM from KDE 4.4
if the freeze will really happen this summer. Shipping KDEPIM 4.3 with KDE
4.4 might not be an option for Debian KDE developers, cause it abandoned
by upstream already and all security fixes needs to be backported. Sure
when KDE 4.5 is out the same happens to KDE 4.4, but at least it will
contain the security and other fixes upto then.

So either KDE project decides to fix any Akonadi related issues for KDE 4.4
series or Debian extends freeze. Other options would be: Shipping a KDE
4.5 backport or even Squeeze + 1 shortly afterwards.

Ciao,