Dragon Player bad AVI audio

I'm running Debian Testing on two computers, and Dragon Player has terrible audio when I play AVI files, but only on *one* of the computers. It has a lot of noise / hiss over top of the regular audio.

Both computers have the same packages installed, thus it must be a hardware difference. The computer with normal audio is a laptop running the built-in speakers. The computer with the bad audio is a tower playing the audio through USB speakers (built into my monitor).

Interestingly, mplayer gives ok audio on both computers, and codeine (which I understand is the KDE3 version of Dragon Player) also gives ok audio on both computers.

All other audio applications work fine on both computers (youtube, Skype, system notifications).

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Glen Reesor