KDE4 with 1 GB RAM ?

Hello,

Is anyone here using KDE4 with 1 GB of RAM or less?  I have 1 GB on my
laptop and I'm finding that by the end of the day, even after I close most
apps, the system is swapping like crazy and is just unusable, taking
seconds before it reacts to a mouseclick.  I have to restart the X server
everyday (sometimes more often) and only then is it fine for a while
again.

I used to run KDE3 for days with absolutely no problems.  I'm not even
using any particularly demanding apps, just basic web browsing with
konqueror, kmail, a few konsole instances, kopete and that's about it.
Opening Openoffice or GIMP on top of this spells death.  Even after I
close it, using the system is hell.

Any tips for systems low on memory?  I tried lowering vm.swappiness in
/etc/sysctl.conf to 10, but it didn't seem to help much.