Re: KDE Support in Debian

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 07:56 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Scott <sclewin@sgaming.ca> [2009 Nov 10 07:31 -0600]:
> > 	My question here is KDE well documented and stable on Debian?  I
> > understand that Gnome is also the default desktop for Debian, but is KDE
> > well supported?

I am using KDE right now on my Debian machine. I started using Debian a
lot more in the last few months because I was looking for something I
could easily upgrade without a CD since my CD / DVD drives seems to be
going on this machine, and so I was basically thinking "FreBSD, or
Debian... Well, I already have two machines with FreeBSD, I'll try this
new version of Debian out" and noce I got the Netnistall CD done, I
popped it in, and started up the installation. The machine has two HDs
in it. One is the 80 GB drive it came with which I use for XP because I
like UT and DooM and Quake (Which oddly enough I got working in Debian
in a very small amount of time anyway) and then a 160 GB drive I
installed which I gave Debian. I like KDE and Gnome both, and I use
whatever I feel like.

My set up on this machine is basically whatever I need. I have KDE
installed, Gnome, Enlightenment, Window Maker, FVWM, FVWM2, LXDE,
Afterstep, TWM, and I think a few more, but this is because sometimes I
want KDE (Like right now) sometimes I want Gnome, and sometimes I want
something that isn't so much of a desktop like Window Maker or
Enlightenment.

I've found Debian to be not only good, but it's gotten so good I made
this machine my main workstation. I use it for most of my email, web
surfing, and I use it for making music with LMMS which was easy to
install on Debian too, and now use it all the time every day. I still
have my FTP server running Slackware 12 because changing OSs on that is
a huge undertaking, and it works fine. I also still have an old machine
running Slackware 13.0 and Windows 98 SE (Because The Magic The
Gathering CD I have to play it on there only works in Windows 9X, it's
the original version that won't install on NTFS) and I have my Laptop
with XP and Slackware 13.0, and then my second workstation / PC with
FreeBSD 7.1 on it for email and also as a second FTP server for testing
stuff.

I don't like Ubuntu at all. The installation discs I had replaced my
Windows NT installation CD Coffee Cup Coasters. (Can't stain my desk!)
But if you're going to try Debian out, I think you'll like it. Ubuntu is
based on it except I think Debian is about 300 times better.

If you like KDE, just do this once you've got it installed:

apt-get update && apt-get install kde

I did that and a few minutes later I had KDE running. It works great and
unlike some distros who only have KDE as an option, Debian actually
looks and runs good on KDE. I don't use KDE4 because my machines are
dated now, but it does run OK too.

-Allen